George W Gerrity scripsit:

> The problems occur first, because the code scanner can no longer be
> stateless;

It can't anyway for all the complex scripts (CJKV is not really complex,
just large).

> second, because one needs to provide an over-ride to
> higher-level layout engines;
> third, because it can't solve problems
> where multiple glyphs exist, whose use is highly context-dependent,
> as is the case for some Japanese texts;

That is the function (not yet really exercised) of the variation
selectors.

> and fourth, because there is
> no one-one translation between the (largely) non-unified simplified
> and traditional characters in Chinese.

It is a mistake to think that these are unified in Unicode; they aren't.

> It seems to me that the Unicode people should bite the bullet that
> where the unification process creates problems, a solution needs to
> be provided. The use of the language tags should be able to deal with
> most objections to rendering in a given language, _provided_
> direction is given as to how the use of plane 14 tags should behave
> (I say, as a hint for glyph choice), and how the rendering engine
> should communicate with higher-order text processing.

Unfortunately, it is now well-established that language and typographical
tradition aren't the same thing.  See the FAQ at www.unicode.org.

--
John Cowan  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  www.ccil.org/~cowan  www.reutershealth.com
"If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing