At 23:28 -0800 2002-11-13, Doug Ewell wrote:
George W Gerrity <ggerrity at dragnet dot com dot au> wrote:

 The problems occur first, because the code scanner can no longer be
 stateless; second, because one needs to provide an over-ride to
 higher-level layout engines; third, because it can't solve problems
 where multiple glyphs exist, whose use is highly context-dependent,
 as is the case for some Japanese texts; and fourth, because there is
 no one-one translation between the (largely) non-unified simplified
 and traditional characters in Chinese.
Careful on that last point.  The Chinese vs. Japanese glyph problem has
nothing to do with the simplified vs. traditional Chinese character
equivalence problem.  In particular, Unicode makes no attempt to unify
"equivalent" SC and TC characters, because such equivalence is not
1-to-1 except for a few thousand relatively basic pairs; plus the
equivalence would only be valid for Chinese, not for other languages
that use Han characters (Japanese, older Korean, Vietnamese nôm).

SC and TC characters are completely non-unified, unless you want to
count the few that are the simplified forms of some character and also
the traditional form of some other character.
That is exactly one point as to why there is no simple solution: Simplified and Traditional weren't unified. I apologise for not stating it more clearly. Moreover, although I am a tyro in Chinese, and only know Japanese from a dictionary, I have come across several dozen Japanese forms that are the equivalent simplified forms used in Mainland Chinese: these pairs are not unified.

George