>Has anyone worked to be positive that this is the cause of the errant
>euro? With two simple UTF-8 encoded page (one with and one without the
>BOM) ? I still have a hard time seeing how a BOM can cause a euro in
>any way other than consulting fees.

Mac OS X IE 5.2 is the only browser that does this (display the UTF-8 bytes
for U+FEFF as a Euro sign). It would indeed be interesting to know why.

You can input U+FEFF all by itself in a document and open it with this
browser and display a Euro. It's not exactly the same Euro as you get with
U+20AC.  Weaker, with an extra tail at the top and equal crossbars.
Perhaps this indicates a mis-encoded font on the system?  But why would no
other browser use it?  For anyone interested I've put a photo of the two
(BOM on top) at:

http://homepage.mac.com/thgewecke/bomeuro.jpg