Tom Gewecke <tom at bluesky dot org> wrote:

> You can input U+FEFF all by itself in a document and open it with this
> browser and display a Euro. It's not exactly the same Euro as you get
> with U+20AC.  Weaker, with an extra tail at the top and equal
> crossbars.  Perhaps this indicates a mis-encoded font on the system?
> But why would no other browser use it?  For anyone interested I've put
> a photo of the two (BOM on top) at:
>
> http://homepage.mac.com/thgewecke/bomeuro.jpg

The first looks like Courier New, probably a standard font for
plain-text files.  A file containing nothing but U+FEFF would be
identified as plain text.

The second looks like Verdana, probably a standard font for HTML files.

The mystery remains as to why U+FEFF (or the bytes 0xEF 0xBB 0xBF,
however interpreted) would be displayed as a Euro sign.  U+20AC EURO
SIGN is mapped to 0xDB in most Mac character sets and 0x80 in most
Windows code pages.

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California