There are two problems we have seen with keyboard preferences.

1. Bringing up the force-quit dialog (command-option-escape) can sometimes disable keyboards in ~/Library/Keyboard Layouts. This can be worked around by moving them to /Library/Keyboard Layouts. Please let me know if this is part of the problem.

2. Sometimes other keyboards will not remain enabled over logoff/logon, even if they are not in ~/Library/Keyboard Layouts.

Please do the following in Terminal:

defaults read com.apple.HIToolbox "Keyboard Menu"

The normal result is:

The domain/default pair of (com.apple.HIToolbox, Keyboard Menu) does not exist

If you get a different response, please contact me by private e-mail.

Thanks,

Deborah Goldsmith
Manager, Fonts & Unicode
Apple Computer, Inc.