> anything into the output buffer, even malformed Unicode, and still be

If your converter purports to produce any one of the Unicode encoding forms,
then it cannot conformantly produce malformed Unicode as a result.

If, of course, it does not purport to do that, it can do anything it wants
to.

Mark
________
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
IBM, MS 50-2/B11, 5600 Cottle Rd, SJ CA 95193
(408) 256-3148
fax: (408) 256-0799