Kent Karlsson scripsit:

> Ligating ae into æ works for Latin
> and sometimes English (could be done via a "smart" font).

Always for English, I think: if someone finds a counterexample, let them
use a + ZWNJ + e.

> Note that e.g. an fj
> ligature is just as legitimate and useful as an fi ligature (fjord,
> fjol, fjärde, fjäll, fjorton, fjäder,...), but since it is of no
> orthographic significance,

Actually, it is of orthographic significance: it is not uncommon for good
fonts to have an fj ligature.

> there's no character for fj ligature, and
> there should not, strictly speaking, have been one for the fi ligature;
> both the fi and fj ligatures (and many more) should be generated
> just via the rendering system+font.

Sure.  fi-ligature exists in Unicode for round-trip compatibility with MacRoman.

--
John Cowan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>     http://www.reutershealth.com