William Overington scripsit:

> How should that be set in Unicode plain text?  Is it to use the letters for
> cos from the range U+0020 to U+007E and then use U+1D466 for the y and
> U+1D465 for the x?

Just so.

> I note that U+1D465 MATHEMATICAL ITALIC SMALL X in the code chart has the
> following text accompanying the definition, following a symbol which looks
> like a wavy equals sign with the word font within angled brackets which I
> will not place in this email in case it upsets any email systems, so I will
> herein use parentheses.
>
> (font) 0078 x latin small letter x
>
> Yet there would seem to be missing the concept that the character is an
> italic of a serifed font.

There are, strictly speaking (some typographer correct me please if I am
wrong), no italic sans serif fonts, but only slanted sans serif fonts.

--
John Cowan           http://www.ccil.org/~cowan              [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To say that Bilbo's breath was taken away is no description at all.  There