On Thursday, July 10, 2003 5:41 PM, Peter Kirk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > Isn't there a "Grapheme Disjoiner" format control character to
> > force the absence of a ligature like <fi>, i.e. <f, GDJ, i>?
> >
> Maybe, but it is hardly realistic to expect all existing Turkish and
> Azeri text to be recoded to insert a character in the middle of each
> f - i sequence.

Note also: the Soft_Dotted property was created and considered
specially for Turkish and Azeri.

In this language context the ASCII i is always rendered with a dot,
kept also for uppercases.

The other solution would be to use <f, i, dot-above>: the forced dot-above
diacritic avoids the ligature, and the sequence is rendered by two glyphs
for <f> and <i, dot-above>, i.e. the glyph for <f>, and the force-dotted
glyph for <i>.

Its uppercase conversion cause no problem:

<F, I, dot-above>
    = <F> + <I, dot-above>
    = <F> + <I-dot-above>

As well as additional stress diacritics:

<f, i, dot-above, accute-accent>
    = <f> + <i, dot-above, accute-accent>
<F, I, dot-above, accute-accent>
    = <F> + <I-dot-above, accute-accent>