----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter Kirk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "John Hudson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, July 24, 2003 10:40 PM
Subject: Re: Hebrew hataf vowels (was: About CGJ)

> On 24/07/2003 12:18, John Hudson wrote:
>
> > At 11:46 AM 7/24/2003, Peter Kirk wrote:
> >
> >> One of the specific issues he brought up was this one: how do you
> >> distinguish the holam-waw vowel combination from the consonant waw
> >> followed by the vowel holam?...
> >

> > These are display issues, not encoding issues,...
>
> Not entirely. First I need to know what sequence of Unicode characters I
> should use to encode holam-waw and aleph with right holam. Garbage in,
> garbage out. Then I need to be sure that your sophisticated rendering
> system actually makes the required distinctions and is not confused by
> any rare cases.

Aleph with right holam is not a plain text issue, and thusly not an unicode
issue.

A right holam on an aleph belongs between the aleph and the preceding
consonant.

As far as plain text goes it can be displayed:

1. above the aleph, to the right.

2. between the aleph and a preceding consonant above a space.

3. above the preceding consonant, to the left.

If you explicitly want 1. then you are talking about rich text.