On 30/07/2003 17:04, Mark Davis wrote:

We should make sure that you all understand that this email list is an
open disucssion list for anyone interested in Unicode.

Consensus on this list does *not* imply agreement by the Unicode
consortium technical committee (UTC), whose voting members are the
full members listed on
http://www.unicode.org/consortium/memblogo.html.

Thanks for the clarification. I didn't mean to imply that decisions were made by consensus on this list, rather that consensus on this list and agreement by a number of key UTC members (e.g. in this case Ken Whistler, who seems to understand the situation well and be in general agreement with what Ted and I are saying) is a good basis for moving forward to a formal proposal; whereas sharp disagreement on this list would suggest that a proposal, at least from outsiders like Ted and myself, is unlikely to be successful.

The UTC accepts and considers proposals from other parties (see
http://www.unicode.org/pending/proposals.html for submitting a
proposal for new characters). For complex matters (which this
definitely seems to be, based on the volumn of mail!), it is far and
away the best if someone can attend the appropriate UTC meeting to
explain the details of the proposal, with the pros and cons of
different approaches. The chair or vice chair of the UTC should be
contacted in that case.

Mark

I regret that I will be unable to attend a UTC meeting in the near future, certainly unless anyone pays my fare from London. So I will probably have to rely on others to present any proposal which I might be a party to. But I can help to provide background material. Indeed I am drafting something now and will make it available soon.

--
Peter Kirk
[EMAIL PROTECTED]