On 06/08/2003 15:47, Philippe Verdy wrote:

On Wednesday, August 06, 2003 11:48 PM, Peter Kirk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

OK, what kind of markup should I use, in any well-known markup
language, to ensure that an isolated diacritic is centred in the
space between the words before and after it?

In plain text, I think that this encoding:
...endOfWord1, SPACE, SPACE, diacritic, SPACE,
startOfWord2...
is what you need, as it creates the following combining sequences:
<...endOfWord1>, <SPACE>, <SPACE, diacritic>, <SPACE>,
<startOfWord2...>

Thank you, Philippe. This is where we started. But I noted that some current implementations render the space diacritic combination as a full width space with the diacritic not centred over it. I suggested that this was wrong, that the diacritic should be centred. Doug suggested I used markup outside the scope of Unicode.

Another similar case would be the use of a isolated nukta (which
normally modifies a following base character): the sequence
<nukta, SPACE> is a single combining sequence with a break
opportunity. So a sequence like <nukta, SPACE, acute accent>
would be unbreakable but would include a break opportunity at its
end, unless it is followed by a NBSP.
And the sequence <nukta, NBSP, acute accent> would also be
unbreakable either in the middle or on both ends.

Tell me more about these nuktas which modify a FOLLOWING base character. This is just what I have been told is illegal, non-conformant or something. But if this is allowed for nuktas, why shouldn't it be allowed for Hebrew holam?

--
Peter Kirk
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (personal)