Peter Kirk scripsit:

> USA and UK do use this alternative system, except that the US gallon is
> different from the British one (exactly 20% smaller I think),

For the record, it's true that the Imperial gallon has 20 fluid ounces
and the Fred Flintstone gallon only 16, *but* it's also true that
U.S. fluid ounces are about 4% bigger than Imperial ones.  So in fact
a U.S. gallon is about 83% of an Imperial one.  Quarts and pints are
corresponding.

--
"There is no real going back.  Though I         John Cowan
may come to the Shire, it will not seem         [EMAIL PROTECTED]