[EMAIL PROTECTED] scripsit:

> First, the browser checks the HTTP header, then the XML declaration
> (which is not relevant to HTML), then the HTML meta tag.
>
> Apparently, upon finding character set information, the operation
> stops, so if information is present in the HTTP header, the meta
> tag won't be consulted.

It's worse than that.  If the HTTP header says "text/xml" or "text/html",
and no charset information is provided, a fully conforming browser
MUST treat this as if the charset "us-ascii" is specified.  That's
just insane, but such are the rules.

Only if there is no header, or if the header says "application/xml",
do we get to proceed to other sources of knowledge.

> All of the data should be consulted and there should be some kind
> of protocol in place to handle conflicting character set info.

It *is* in place and fully specified.  It's just that most of us
don't care for the results, and most programs don't fully conform
for that reason.

--
Some people open all the Windows;       John Cowan
wise wives welcome the spring           [EMAIL PROTECTED]