Philippe Verdy wrote:

Due to that, there's a big risk that PUAs start being permanently assigned
as part of a OS core charset, and that data created on distinct systems
become mutually incompatible as they are using colliding subsets of PUAs
(this is already the case in core fonts and script processors used in
MS Windows, and a few private characters/logographs used by Apple in
MacOS).

Yes. When I've made websites using the PUA section for Klingon, even though my Unicode font contains the right glyphs there, it's unreadable because some of those codepoints overlap some Adobe or Apple characters, and my browser in its wisdom decides that Adobe wins. So some of the characters show right, and some show (r) signs and suchlike.

(We're now *trying* to do more data interchange in Klingon characters, the lack of which is what held Klingon back from encoding in the first place... but we *can't* because we're not encoded! What a catch-22!)

~mark