Peter Kirk scripsit:

> This approach would certainly have simplified pointed Hebrew a lot, so
> much so that it could well be serious.

There are an awful lot of possibilities, and it's not clear that spinning
them out a la Hangul really makes sense.

> After all, Ethiopic was encoded
> as a syllabary just because the vowel points happen to have become
> attached to the base characters.

Well, more because Ethiopic-script users think of the letters as
part of a syllabary, though historically it's an abugida.  The original
design for Unicode Ethiopic used an alphabetic representation -- someone
else can probably tell you more about the nitty-gritty of why it was
rejected.

> And we already have some precomposed
> Hebrew syllables, FB1D, FB1F, FB2E, FB2F. But I guess it is too late for
> a change now!

It certainly is.

--
Go, and never darken my towels again!           John Cowan
        --Rufus T. Firefly                      www.ccil.org/~cowan