On 24/11/2003 17:56, Christopher John Fynn wrote:

"Peter Kirk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

This approach would certainly have simplified pointed Hebrew a lot, so
much so that it could well be serious. After all, Ethiopic was encoded
as a syllabary just because the vowel points happen to have become
attached to the base characters. And we already have some precomposed
Hebrew syllables, FB1D, FB1F, FB2E, FB2F. But I guess it is too late for
a change now!

Please don't even think of it - acceptance of any proposal for precomposed characters for one script would open the floodgates for similar proposals for other scripts.

--
Christopher J. Fynn

But the floodgates have already been opened - not just Ethiopic but Greek extended, much of Latin extended, the Korean syllables which started this discussion, the small amount of precomposed Hebrew which we already have, etc. People have tried to force them shut, and with good reason. But don't accuse me of starting something new.

--
Peter Kirk
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (personal)