It is useful to read the standard before asserting something about it. If you
don't have a hard-copy of the standard, you can always consult the online
version. In this case, see "3.13 Default Case Operations" in
http://www.unicode.org/versions/Unicode4.0.0/ch03.pdf and "4.2 CaseâNormative"
in http://www.unicode.org/versions/Unicode4.0.0/ch04.pdf.

>The correspondence of ss and à is not one of case, either.

"SS", "ss", and "Ã" do match in a case-insensitive comparison.

> 'The correspondence between "A" and "a" is ... a culturally biased one'.

If you know of cultures that have case mappings other than what is captured in
the UCD as described in the above sections, please file a feedback form
requesting that the specific mappings be added.

Mark
http://www.macchiato.com
â ààààààààààààààààààààà â