Okay, I've read enough. I've got the message.
Microsoft's view = make the customer pay through the nose for everything you can possibly get away with
Linux view = you can have whatever you want for free, but you have to be techy enough to understand it in some detail and/or write it yourself
Apple's view = give the customers what they want

My next OS will be a Mac.
Jill