Peter Lofting [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Do you have references to the German as well as French script names...and
any others ?

For French, I could translate them myself, but you'll find normative French
names within ISO/IEC 10646 which names all its assigned blocks in the
published French version.

The assigned 4-letter codes for scripts however come from a RFC published in
English only (the RFC makes a normative reference to the English names found
in both ISO/IEC 10646 and Unicode), but the source of information may
finally be now ISO-10646 only as it is the entity that manages character
repertoires and subsets.

Unicode manages character properties and composition rules, but I do think
that ISO-10646 is more trustable than Unicode to define script names and
their associated repertoire subset, even if both entities share now an
agreement for this convention, as the script associated with a character is
also a character property in the domain of competence of Unicode. Who ever
will make the proposal, and who will decide is another issue.

But generally Unicode takes a longer time to include new characters in the
common repertoire than ISO/IEC 10646 which involves many more national
standardization bodies around the world than the Unicode Consortium and its
working groups and liaison members. The time delay is needed by Unicode to
correctly assign and discuss character properties (so an assignment in
ISO/IEC 10646 or Unicode is not noramtive until both entities have balloted
and voted in favor of the inclusion.

As both entities involve different people (Unicode is open to any private
organizations or people willing to join it, unlike ISO/IEC 10646 which
approves its members, with some being involved by their governement as they
could not pay the price of a full Unicode membership), it is a good point
that both entities (public versus private, even if that division is not so
strict) share their point of view about the extension of the repertoire.

I would prefer to work within Unicode, but I can't pay its membership price
in terms of time and participation. And I'm not entitled to join a ISO/IEC
10646 working group with its heavy administrative working methods. In both
cases, I don't have the money and dedicated time to participate to their
meeting around the world...

<< ella for Spam Control >> has removed Spam messages and set aside
Newsletters for me
You can use it too - and it's FREE!  http://www.ellaforspam.com