On 04/12/2003 16:51, Michael Everson wrote:

With all due respect, the SIL is a large organization with considerable sources of funding, full-time staff, and so on. ...

Those sources of funding are almost entirely charitable donations, and mostly from ordinary people rather than super-rich evangelists. The full-time staff almost all receive no salaries but rely on charitable giving for support. I was suggesting that people could support a particular project which is providing freely available tools for Unicode conversion and free fonts (see http://scripts.sil.org), which (as I understand it) is having funding difficulties at the moment perhaps because ordinary donors don't understand the importance of this work - and losing key personnel although I don't know if this is a funding issue.

... The SEI, on the other hand, exists to try to support the preparation of proposal for encoding new scripts and characters in the standard. The SEI needs the support of readers of this list more than SIL does, if anyone is thinking of making a donation.

Michael, I don't want to take away any support from SEI. Readers can decide which purposes they wish to support, and may also wish to take into account tax deductible status.

Doing the work of encoding the missing scripts isn't enough to attract donations? Realizing that one is helping the Unicode Project, helping to enable the encoding of the written history of our species, isn't enough?

Well, there might be people who have no interest in the general problem of encoding missing scripts, but who want a Gothic etc font and are prepared to make a generous donation to someone who can supply them with one.

--
Peter Kirk
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (personal)