Adam Twardoch scripsit:

> Even today, some (rather few) users of German prefer to use the "sz"
> compatibility decomposition rather than "ss" since it's far less ambiguous.
> It's a minority practice, but I have seen this. "sz" does not occur in
> normal German, while "ss" has orthographic differences from "ß". I have seen
> compatiblity spellings (in e-mails) such as "Grusz" instead of "Gruss" when
> "ß" was missing ("Gruß" is the correct spelling).

Indeed, this is how I was taught to type German on an American typewriter,
transcribing every handwritten ess-zed as "sz", as indeed the name
indicates.  I never learned the name "scharfes ess" until much later.

--
BALIN FUNDINUL          UZBAD KHAZADDUMU        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
BALIN SON OF FUNDIN     LORD OF KHAZAD-DUM      http://www.ccil.org/~cowan