> Texts may use <a, c. diaeresis> as well as <a, c. small e above>
> in the same text, even the same font (and there are (old) documents
> that do so, even though they may use these characters interchangeably).
> It is up to the author to decide which to use, not the font designer.

We had this argument before, and I believe the argument that fonts
with a small e above for diaresis are perfectly acceptable. Yes, there
are documents that use a small e above and diaresis, but there are also
many more documents that use U+0261(É) and 0067(g) together, and that
doesn't mean that a Latin font must use a g with a looped tail.

> And one cannot rely on fragile font selections.)

If I'm going to use a font that has a small e above for diaresis, my
point is not to convey information; it is to carry off a particular
style. Most uses of that font are going to be turned into graphics
or printed to hard-copy or turned into PDF files where the font
selection isn't fragile at all. Just because scholars need certain
fonts, and a particular font style would not be acceptable for Arial
Unicode, doesn't mean that a font style shouldn't be used ever.
Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com
http://promo.mail.com/adsfreejump.htm