On 10/01/2004 07:25, Elliotte Rusty Harold wrote:

One very interesting thing I noted on the page:

Negative numbers were usually represented using distinguisable features like color. Positive rods were usually colored red while negative rods were usually colored black.

Wasn't there a really long thread not very long ago about whether color was ever a distinguishing characteristic of two otherwise identical characters?

Sounds like the numerals on my bank statements, except the other way round. But I don't think that would justify encoding as separate characters red negative Arabic digits, or red positive Chinese rod digits.

--
Peter Kirk
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (personal)