I am very grateful to those who have devoted time to discussing the suggestion I made about encoding Chinese rod numerals. Leaving to one side technical points about where in Unicode any new encodings might be placed ( I don't know enough) may I make some points on John Jenkins' useful contribution - which asks in effect whether the rod numerals are actually characters rather than graphics. To this I would reply:

(1) The web page I cited was chosen purely in order to let list members see what the rod numerals looked like. Its statements about the nature and usage of these numerals should not be taken as authoritative. Better accounts are to be found in Chinese histories of mathematics, such as that of Li Di æèãZhongguo shuxue tongshi äåæåéåãNanjing 1997, pp 53 ff., in which their origins and early usage are discussed. Accessible and readily available English language discussions include HO Peng-Yoke, Li Qi and Shu: an Introduction to Science and Civilisation in China, Hong Kong 1985 rep. New York 2000, 55-58, and 92-104, and as part of the magisterial work by Joseph Needham, Science and Civilisation in China, volume 3, Cambridge 1959, pp 5-17, 45, 62 and 129-133.

(2) The Unicode home page says: "The Unicode Standard defines codes for characters used in all the major languages written today. Scripts include the European alphabetic scripts, Middle Eastern right-to-left scripts, and many scripts of Asia. The Unicode Standard further includes punctuation marks, diacritics, mathematical symbols, technical symbols, arrows, dingbats, etc.". I suggest that in an enterprise so universal and cross-cultural as Unicode, the definition of what counts as a "mathematical symbol" has to be conditioned by actual mathematical practice in the culture whose script is being encoded. We cannot simply take modern western mathematics as the standard. This means we have to look at the usage of Chinese mathematical writers in the periods in which rod numerals are used (and indeed this is the implication of John Jenkins' very sensible approach in his message).

(3) The most sophisticated indigenous Chinese mathematical texts before contacts with Western techniques (which did not, by the by appear obviously superior when the Chinese first met them in the 17th century) come from the algebraists of the late Song and Yuan periods (13th-14th centuries AD). The historian of science George Sarton characterised one of these, Qin Jiushao, as "one of the greatest mathematicians ... of all times". Qin developed methods for solving problems which would in western terms involve equations of up to the power 10. To do this he made use of a matrix notation in which rod numerals were essential. Needham (p. 131,132) reproduces pages from the work of two of Qin's contemporaries in which rod numerals appear in the text: the second example is particularly striking as showing a sequence of normal written characters with the rod numerals used as ordinary numbers. At a much more demotic level, Li Di (pp. 389 ff discusses and illustrates a mathematical MS from the Dunhuang cave shrines (possibly dating 7th-10th C.) in which rod numerals and common characters are mixed. On this basis, I suggest it is reasonable to allow that in Chinese terms the rod numerals should at the very least be admitted into the category of "mathematical symbols, technical symbols, arrows, dingbats, etc." , and personally I should urge that they should be accepted as a technical way of writing numbers - which is how they frequently functioned.

I hope this helps to advance the discussion. Further comments would be welcome.

Christopher Cullen