Philippe Verdy va escriure:

> U+0904 DEVANAGARI LETTER SHORT A is used only for the case of an
> independant vowel. It can be "viewed" as a conjunct of the
> independant vowel U+0905 DEVANAGARI LETTER A and the dependant
> vowel sign U+0946 DEVANAGARI VOWEL SIGN SHORT E (noted "for
> transcribing Dravidian vowels" in the Unicode charts).

You may regard it this way, but that is not so.
U+0905 followed by U+0946 is really U+090E. Compare with the other
scripts to understand why.

> I  don't know why this is not documented, because I can find various
> sources that use <U+0904> or <U+0905,U+0946> which have exactly the
> same rendering and probably the same meaning and usage.

Whow! You have various sources that use a character added to Unicode
about 2 years and half ago! Impressionnant!

About the rendering of <U+0905,U+0946>, since it violates the usual
rules, it is up to your system. Mine does not render it properly,
though (unless I cheat).

> I think that U+0946 was added in ISCII 1991 but was absent from ISCII
> 1988

No. It was there even in ISCII 83.

> (I think it's too late to define it: ISCII 1988 has been used
> consistently before,

Hmmmm... I have really no evidence that ISCII 1988 was used at all...
Would be happy to find one, though...

Antoine