From: "Aparna A. Kulkarni" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "'Unicode List'" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, February 19, 2004 8:23 AM
Subject: RE: Devanagari Letter Short A

> The character U+0904 (DEVANAGARI LETTER SHORT A) is not a part of ISCII 91.
> Neither was it encoded in any of the earlier versions of ISCII. Hence
> according to the ISCII standard this character simply cannot be formed.
>
> Aparna A. Kulkarni

So could this character exist only for the purpose of supporting languages that
are not covered by ISCII but that share the same Devanagari script, and is then
needed for other countries than India?

(Here I think about Dravidian transiptions).

If there's no ISCII standard related to its meaning or encoding, then what is
invalid when coding it with LETTER A then the LETTER SHORT E vowel modifier,
possibly with an intermediate INV or other ISCII-compatible control? How would
this break ISCII compatibility?

Aren't there existing practices to represent LETTER SHORT A in ISCII?