At 16:44 -0800 2004-02-18, Peter Constable wrote:

Well, *don't* ignore the fact that I was not talking about parentheses and hyphens; I was talking about tilde and right arrow (U+2192).

No one is proposing these.

Sorry, that doesn't cut it, IMO. You know all too well that "what people need to encode" is open to lots of interpretations. When someone comes along and says "we need to encode Devanagari ksha" or "we need to encode ch", you, Michael Everson, will respond saying, "No, we do not need to encode those things,"

Because they can be represented in plain text already.

I have to go to the airport.