As long as we're on the topic, I have to weigh in on the conservative side
in this argument, with Ken Whistler. Use of the existing subscript
characters is generally bad practice. Adding more subscripts would be
adding to the bad practice, and yield even more different ways to express
the same thing (markup versus direct encoding).

The examples given in the document are ample evidence that these
linguistic notation systems have crossed way over the plain-text line. They
should be *NOT* using the existing subscripts, but should consistently be
using mark-up methods.

        Rick