On 01/03/2004 14:57, Philippe Verdy wrote:

From: "Peter Kirk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

The cost of software is unlikely to be a serious issue. I haven't been
to Tajikistan, but in many countries in that region almost any software
is available for the cost of copying a CD. As a result Windows XP and
Office XP (probably now 2003) are in general use.

The cost of copying is not relevant. The cost of adapting a software so that it
becomes usable for a given language is the one that prevails here. It's a
serious issue.

Windows 2000/XP and Office need no adaptation, just fonts and keyboards. Well, the menus do need localisation, and obviously that is a significant issue (although I guess most Tajiks know or can easily learn the Russian for "File", "View", "Help" etc).

Issues of localisation of non-Unicode software are off topic for this list, surely.

--
Peter Kirk
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (personal)