This discussion has focused pretty tightly on the *default* properties
of PUA code points, without really addressing the issue of specifying
new properties to override those defaults, and I think that's a mistake.

After all, if you're going to define Private Use characters, it really
isn't enough to specify only the glyphs.  You also need to indicate the
type of character (letter, number, space, etc.), directionality, numeric
properties, combining class, maybe case, and so forth.  This is Unicode,
after all, where a character is defined as much by its properties as
anything else.

As a reminder, I do believe in the PUA for the purpose of exchanging
rare, personal, or ideosyncratic *TEXT CHARACTERS* in a Unicode
environment (note to William: I still owe you a response).  My invented
script at [1] is an example: it does not, and will never, qualify for
standardization in Unicode; but I have sent and received private e-mails
in it, using a privately defined agreement, exactly what the PUA was
intended for.

The page at [2] includes a full list of Unicode properties for each
character in my invented script.  This includes not only directionality,
but everything else that would be listed for a standardized Unicode
character in UnicodeData.txt.  (I've wanted to do a complete list like
this for all of CSUR, but it's waaaay down on my list of priorities.)

I could imagine someone, somewhere... possibly me... writing a Unicode
subsystem that actually read in UnicodeData.txt (or a compiled version
of it) and used that to derive its information about character
properties.  Now, if someone defined PUA characters and *actually went
to the trouble of specifying their properties*, as I did in [2], and if
this subsystem was able to use that data as an adjunct to
UnicodeData.txt, then things would work the way Peter Kirk wants.  The
default LTR directionality and other default properties of PUA
characters would not matter; they would be overridden.  But Ken and Rick
are absolutely right that very few companies are going to see a business
opportunity in this.  Even SC UniPad, which has implemented many
comparatively arcane features of Unicode, has never done anything with
the PUA, though it has been on their "future versions" list for 6 years
now.

[1]  http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/ewellic.html
[2]  http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/ew-props.html

-Doug Ewell