On Friday 2004.04.23 09:11:30 -0700, Benjamin Peterson wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 12:12:57 -0400, "Edward H. Trager"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:
>
> > There is an issue that you might confront with these terminal-based tools
> > on
> > Windows and on Mac OSX that I myself don't know how to solve, and that is
> > that
> > I don't know how to switch to a UTF-8 locale on either Windows or Mac
> > OS-X so
> > that terminal programs such as Xterm or the Cygwin terminal would display
> > the UTF-8
> > characters beyond ASCII correctly.  My own solution to this problem was
> > trivially
> > easy: don't use Windows or Mac OS X for multilingual database work; use
> > Linux
> > instead.
>
> Wow -- I'd hate to see your idea of a non-trivial solution!

Well, yes, perhaps that sounds funny.  But I work in a lab where we have all
three OSes - Windows 2K, Mac OS X, and SuSE Linux.  As a developer and sysadmin,
I happen to have the luxury that I can pretty much use whatever I want and that tends
to be Linux
which over time I have found works the best, for me at least, for dealing with
UTF-8 data (or any other format of Unicode data, since its easy to convert to UTF-8
on Linux).  People tend to use what they know best, and I know the *nix stuff better
than anything else.  Since Mac OS X has BSD under the hood, I find I can also get
a lot done without much pain on OS X even though I've spent very little time using the
OS.
Windows, on the other hand, is just plain annoying
(Windows' lack of a decent shell and command-line tools is probably
what makes the OS most annoying).

> > Perhaps someone else on this list can tell us how to get Apple's terminal
> > application
> > or xterm running on OS X to display UTF-8 characters correctly (probably
> > just needs
> > the correct UTF-8 based locale setting.  There also must be some
> > solutions to this
> > problem on Windows terminals too, I just don't know what they are.
>
> Theoretically, doing 'chcp 65001' in cmd.exe should make it work to the
> extent that 'cat' will then work correctly on a utf-8 file.  This works
> for me but some people report issues.  The only other major Windows
> shell, 4nt, does not work for me with utf-8 at all.  Since cmd.exe is a
> horrible shell, I would suggest:
>
> 1 -- doing everything from vim (preferred, of course :))
> 2 -- doing everything from regular windows gui tools, which have been
> unicode-freindly since forever.
>
> chcp 65001 may work for you, though.

I've tried that, but doesn't seem to change much.