At 05:33 PM 4/24/2004, Ernest Cline wrote:
There are problems.  Suppose, we define a new variation selector that
will stay with the preceding mark under normalization.

Now consider what happens when implementations conforming to
a standard of Unicode that does not know about the new character
normalizes the sequence BC CM180 CM160 NVS
  BC = Base Character
 CM# = Combining Mark of ccc #
  NVS = New Variation Selector.

As far as it knows, the new variation selector is an undefined character
with a ccc of 0, so when normalizing this it will reorder it as:
BC CM160 CM180 NVS
Now lets have this "normalized" string be passed on to an
implementation which knows about this NVS,  There were two
schemes I proposed for implementing this NVS.  Both have problems,
as I will point out below.

No implementation supporting version X can normalize all data containing characters from a later release. If that was a requirement we could never add combining characters. What is required is that all later implementation normalize any data from version X the same way a version X implementation would have done and to not change already normalized data. I think it's strictly speaking the latter aspect that's guaranteed. ...

Adding Variation Selectors with non-zero canonical
combining classes is possible, but I fail to see the benefits
from adding new Variation Selectors on the SSP outweighing
the benefits of defining new vowel marks in the Hebrew
block.  It's not as if the Hebrew block does not have the
space to add additional vowel points, and frankly,
anything on Plane 0 is likelier to be implemented sooner
and on a wider set of platforms..

This is the essential argument.

A./