Peter Kirk <peterkirk at qaya dot org> wrote:

> And these two cases are hardly a good advertisement for the expert's
> reputation. The Coptic/Greek unification proved to be ill-advised and
> is being undone. As for the unified W and Q, well, I guess that if the
> Kurds and others who use these letters in Cyrillic knew how this
> decision would mean that their alphabet will never be sorted correctly
> (unless they get round to tailoring their collations), they would make
> a strongly argued case for disunification. Well, perhaps the expert
> can feel how much his fingers have been burned by over-unification and
> so is now pressing for everything to be disunified.

I can't believe I am reading this.  Far more than anyone else, Michael
has *always* supported the disunification of Coptic from Greek and of
Kurdish Cyrillic Q and W from their Latin counterparts.  They have been
two of his signature causes through the years.

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California
 http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/