Elaine Keown
            Tucson, Arizona

Hi,

>From: Mark Davis ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
>Date: Mon May 03 2004 - 11:28:42 CDT

>The question for me is whether the scholarly
>representations of the Phoenician would vary enough
>that in order to represent the palæo-Hebrew (or the
>other language/period variants), one would need to
>have font difference anyway. If so, then it doesn't
>buy much to encode separately from Hebrew.

Exactly.  For the most refined presentation, each
layer of writing found as one digs down in each tel
(rounded hill with old city under it which
archaeologists and epigraphers excavate) would need a
different font.

I tried to point out on the Hebrew list that there are
at most *10* pages of scraps of early text in
'Proto-Canaanite'---whatever you call it--all of them
in a script and dialect continuum.....
This contrasts with 1100 pages or so of EACH major
text of the Hebrew Bible (...'Old Testament' for those
who like that kind of label) compared with tens of
thousands of pages of Talmud, the 'sea of the Talmud.'---Elaine