Title: RE: [BULK] - Re: Interleaved collation of related scripts

        Liar.  I never advocate Perl, except as a final, desperate measure.  Nor did I say that anyone needed to write scripts.  Normalization is something that can and should be done by text processing applications - users should only need to make the normalization tables.

> This is
> something which computer geeks may be able to do, but it is simply
> impossible for the rest of humanity including scholars of ancient
> languages.

        This statement is grossly inconsistent with most linguistic scholars I have met, directly or indirectly, and inconsstent with the part of general humanity have met.  Have I really been that fortunate?

> Perl is not "God's gift to academic researchers"
> in general,
> although it may be God's gift to computer geeks.

        Perl isn't God's gift to anything - it's Larry's gift to cyberbrutality (which is, in its own twisted way, a Beautiful Thing).

> The other problem with this is that the large corpora to be
> searched are
> not necessarily directly available to the users for normalisation. I
> can't normalise the whole Internet before doing a Google search for a
> Coptic or Phoenician word. What I need is a search engine
> which can (at
> least as a tailoring) collate together Coptic and Greek,
> Phoenician and
> Hebrew.

        Your issues with Google searching are best taken up with the folks at Google.  The default collation properties aren't goin to matter there, I suspect.

> It really would be
> far better,
> in the long run, if you said openly that anyone who continues
> to write
> Phoenician with Hebrew characters after the new block is accepted is
> wrong and breaking the standard, and should change their practices
> immediately.

        No, it wouldn't.  I know I should add something, but I'm just too awed by the gap between reality and the perception you seem to have of it on this issue.

> But then if you said that you would of course add a lot more flame to
> the fire, and you would be forced to consider properly whether such
> proposals as the separate Phoenician script have consensus
> support from
> the majority of regular professional users of the script.

        ...implying that a proper job is not being done now?  I beg to differ.

/|/|ike