[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

The Mesha Stele (otherwise known as the Moabite Stone) is already available in Hebrew script. What is the need for a separate encoding of the same text?

There are probably other transliterations of the text already available,
too, such as Latin.  Wouldn't it be nice to see the inscription displayed
in its original script, properly encoded?

This is a silly question, because the whole debate is about that constitutes 'properly encoded'. The Mesha Stele can be perfectly easily encoded using existing Hebrew codepoints and displayed in the Phoenician style with appropriate glyphs.

I'm not saying that this is necessarily the best encoding for the Mesha Stele, but I'm certainly not convinced that there is anything improper about it, or that having a separate encoding for those glyphs would be more proper.

John Hudson

--

Tiro Typeworks        www.tiro.com
Vancouver, BC        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I often play against man, God says, but it is he who wants
  to lose, the idiot, and it is I who want him to win.
And I succeed sometimes
In making him win.
             - Charles Peguy