[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

While the fact that it's called Phoenician script doesn't prove anything
about its origin, it might be considered indicative of the path through
which the script was borrowed.

Indeed. This is the point I made earlier: Greco-centric European scholarship of writing systems calls the script 'Phoenician' because the Greeks derived their alphabet from trade contact with the Phoenicians. As should be obvious from recent debate, semiticists look at the old Canaanite writing systems in a different way.

John Hudson

--

Tiro Typeworks        www.tiro.com
Vancouver, BC        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I often play against man, God says, but it is he who wants
  to lose, the idiot, and it is I who want him to win.
And I succeed sometimes
In making him win.
             - Charles Peguy