When we looked into this, the problem we found is that there are many
standards.

We ended up with the following in ICU (see
http://oss.software.ibm.com/cgi-bin/icu/tr for a demo,
http://oss.software.ibm.com/icu/userguide/Transform.html for descriptions).
I believe that we followed the UNGEGN conventions, with added accents to
support round-tripping. Note that while we have the ability to have
different transliterations for different languages, or for variant
transliterations, we have not added any as yet. (The '>' means 'transforms
into' below).

Ù > '.Ì';
Ù > ',Ì';
Ø > ',';