Title: RE: Looking for transcription or transliteration standards latin->arabic

        OK, just because I do so love monkey wrenches, please explain what I found in my atlas:

        Vietnamese       English
                  ------>
        HaÌ TiÌnh          Ha Tinh

        In which we have a trancription/transliteration/taxonomy problem between Latin and Latin.  Since this does not remotely roundtrip (Ha, for instance, has 18 Vietnamese equivalents), and no attempt is made to match pronunciation, how do we refer to it?

/|/|ike

Trivia question: Which Vietnamese city does my atlas spell correctly, much to the chagrin of the Vietnamese?