On 10/07/2004 01:34, Mark Davis wrote:

I'll try to pick out the relevant points.

Please do. Do you really want all those letters
between "e" and "f" interfiled with "e"? I surely
do not.

You seem to have a misperception of what I think we should be looking at. What I think we should be examining is which of the items that are not interfiled (to use your phrasing) should be, if any. I don't think everything should be. In particular, I think John's list is the list we should be focusing on.

John's list?

That's was in my original mail, that you were commenting on when you changed the subject line, but which you didn't apparently didn't bother to actually read. Here is the text:

If you look at John's suggested file for diacritic
folding(http://www.ccil.org/~cowan/DiacriticFolding.txt), there are quite

number that are not reflected in the UCA.

My point is made here. It is really only in
initial position where this is likely to be
noticed.

This is incorrect. It will make a difference in other positions. Sorting
"SÃren" after "Sozar" in a long list, if someone isn't expecting it, will
cause problems. They look for it after "Soret", don't see it on the page,
and assume it isn't there; fooled by the fact that it is on a completely
different page.

I agree with you on this. I just checked this with some real data, a set of several thousand e-mail messages from a list. One Danish participant is SÃren Holst and so called in the name field of his e-mails, but signs himself "Soren" in messages in English. If I type "Soren" into the name search box (in Mozilla 1.7), I get no matches. This is not what I expect, because to me, and to SÃren himself when thinking in English, Ã is a variant of o. (But actually Mozilla is inconsistent: when sorting it put SÃren after Sonny but before Soshie.)

-- Peter Kirk [EMAIL PROTECTED] (personal) [EMAIL PROTECTED] (work) http://www.qaya.org/