Peter Kirk scripsit:

> I have just reviewed this list and found it odd that Hebrew presentation
> forms are included but Arabic ones are not.

The specification actually called only for Latin, Greek, and Cyrillic;
I added Hebrew pour la lagniappe.  If someone wants to add Arabic, I
encourage them to do so.

> the Hebrew presentation forms but also most of the precomposed
> characters are redundant in this list.

True; however, the current list indicates the scope of what actually
happens, even if it is overlong.

> It is therefore
> necessary to list in the specification of the folding only all (?)
> combining marks, which are to be deleted,

I believe that all Mn-class characters, and only they, are deleted by this.

> I note that 0429 is not folded to 0428 etc, and this is correct because
> within the Cyrillic writing system these are entirely separate
> characters. But the difference between these two is in fact exactly the
> same descender which is removed in 0496 etc.

I don't think that matters.  Long historical practice has made SHCHA a
separate letter, just as G, J, U, and W are now separate Latin letters
from C, I, V, and VV-ligature.

> I am also surprised to note
> that no folding is given for 0419/0439; although in some ways this is
> desirable because Russians do not consider this breve to be a diacritic
> (and after all we would not want the dot on i to be removed as a
> diacritic!), these characters have canonical decompositions to 0418/0438
> and breve and the principle of canonical equivalence and the folding
> algorithm (which works on decomposed characters) more or less demand
> that the breve be deleted. Also 048A/048B should then fold to 0418/0438
> rather than 0419/0439.

I think I agree with this: i-breve does not have the same universal status as
shch.

--
John Cowan  www.reutershealth.com  www.ccil.org/~cowan  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
'Tis the Linux rebellion / Let coders take their place,