From: "Chris Jacobs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Nitin Kapoor" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Arabic Implementation
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 04:44:09 +0200

----- Original Message ----- From: "Nitin Kapoor" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Cc: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Sent: Wednesday, August 18, 2004 3:38 AM Subject: Arabic Implementation

> Hello Friends,
>
> I am implementing ARABIC in one of our embedded projects .I have read the
> Unicode standard well and would like to ask a question about joining types.
>
> After a character changes the display form into one mentioned in Arabic
> Presentation Form B does it still belong to a joining type.
>
> For example: Lets say Unicode Character : 0x0622 which is a right joining
> type , when this changes the display form into ISOLATED FORM its Unicode
> becomes : 0xfe81.

NO. When 0x0622 changes its display form into ISOLATED FORM because of context it still stays 0x0622.
Only the glyph changes, not the underlying char.

> So does 0xfe81 also belong to Right Joining type?

If it is really a 0xfe81 char, encoded as such, then no.

> I am asking this question
> because according to Derived Joining Type .txt provided by UNICODE, it
> doesnˇ¦t have any category for characters once they change their display
> form.
>
> I personally feel that a particular character belonging to a particular
> joining type will have all its different display forms also belonging to the
> particular joining type .

Which is indeed what happpens if you avoid using the presentation form code points, as you should.