John Cowan wrote:
Jungshik Shin scripsit:

The 'official' name of 'ASCII' is
ANSI X3.4-1968 or ISO 646 (US). While dispelling myths about Unicode, I'm afraid you're spreading misinformation about what came before it.
The sentence that 'ANSI pushed this scope ... represents 256 characters' is misleading. ANSI has nothing to do with various single, double, triple byte character sets that make up single and multibyte character

Like it or not, "ANSI" has two meanings now: the American National
Standards Institute and a generic term for an 8-bit Windows codepage.
Similarly, "OEM" means both an original equipment manufacturer and an
8-bit PC-DOS codepage.

I'm well aware of that, but I don't like the second usage at all. Actually, I noticed recently
that even MS(DN) began to stop using 'ANSI' meaning the second although Win32 APIs with 'A'
suffix would be here to stay.

Jungshik