Antoine Leca scripsit:

> In a similar vein, I cannot be in agreement that it could be advisable to
> use the 22th, 23th, 32th, 63th, etc., the upper bits of the storage of a
> Unicode codepoint. Right now, nobody is seeing any use for them as part of
> characters, but history should have learned us we should prevent this kind
> of optimisations to occur.

No, I don't agree with this part.  Unicode just isn't going to expand
past 0x10FFFF unless Earth joins the Galactic Empire.  So the upper bits
are indeed free for private uses.

> Particularly when it is NOT defined by the
> standards: such a situation leads everybody and his dog to find his
> particular "optimum" use for these "free space", and these classes of
> optimums do not generally collides between them...

I don't think this matters as long as the upper bits are not used in
interchange.  For example, it would be reasonable to represent Unicode
characters as immediates on a virtual machine by using some pattern in
the upper bits that flags them as characters.

--
Eric Raymond is the Margaret Mead               John Cowan
of the Open Source movement.                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]