RE: My QuerryMike Ayers wrote
> Addison Phillips Sent on Tuesday, November 23, 2004 9:14 AM
>> That is, amoung other things
>> UTF-8 was designed specifically to be compatible with C
>> language strings.
>
>         Wrong!

What is wrong? That UTF-8 (born FSS-UTF) was designed to be compatible with
C language strings?
Of course it was. Even more, it had to be compatible with the '/' codepoint,
very important in Unix.

Another problem entirelly is to determine if it _succeeded_ at this aim.

> UTF-8 is fully compatible with ASCII,

I do not know what does mean "fully compatible" in such a context. For
example, ASCII as designed allowed (please note I did not write "was
designed to allow") the use of the 8th bit as parity bit when transmitted as
octet on a telecommunication line; I doubt such use is compatible with
UTF-8.

I do not object to your point about impossibility to represent NUL with C.
But as you say, very often this is not an actual problem.

Antoine