Shouldn't this be an FAQ?

-----Original Message-----
From: unicode-bou...@unicode.org [mailto:unicode-bou...@unicode.org] On Behalf
Of Michael Everson
Sent: Poʻalima, Iune 04, 2010 12:01 PM
To: unicode Unicode Discussion
Subject: Re: Hexadecimal digits

On 4 Jun 2010, at 20:39, Luke-Jr wrote:

> Unicode has Roman numerals and bar counting (base 0); why should base 16 be
> denied unique characters?

It isn't. 0123456789ABCDEF. I have calculators which do sums with this notation.

> Unicode has Roman numerals and bar counting (base 0); why should base 16 be
> denied unique characters?

Because we don't have enough fingers.

> Unicode has Roman numerals and bar counting (base 0); why should base 16 be
> denied unique characters?

Because both begins with a B.

> From another perspective, the English-language Arabic-numeral world came up
> with ASCII. Unicode was created to unlimit the character set to include
> coverage of other languages' characters. Why shouldn't a variety of numeric
> systems also be supported?

A wide variety of numeric systems ***IS*** supported in the UCS. You can do
sums in Sumerian and Egyptian and Linear B and Phoenician and lots of other
numeric systems.