On Tue, 27 Jul 2010, David Starner wrote:

> what I mean was that MacArabic, Windows-1256 and ISO-8859-6
> are designed to write the Arabic language.

They are older than Unicode. It could have been possible in the
beginning of Unicode to define U+0649 to have initial and medial
glyphs with dots, i.e. to be the character that now is U+06CC.

Please note that fonts in MacArabic, MacFarsi, ISO-8859-6
and fonts from Windows XP have only isolated and final glyphs
for U+0649. This is of course an Arabic letter.

> If U+0649 is in these character sets, to say that it's really
> a Uighur character

In my view, U+0649 is made an Uighur letter by defining inital
and medial glyphs to have no dots.