Um... Computers are hardware, and don't understand a thing. What I think you
mean is computer _software_. (I know, I'm being pedantic, but with good
reason.)

The question is, whether you need a protocol that can be understood by _all_
computer software, or by _some_ computer software. Obviously, it is not
feasible to have something that will be understood by all computer software.
So, it would be _some_ computer software. But, then, I think such things exist;
e.g. there appear to be ways to do this in some Mac software, and in some
Graphite software.

But something tells me you expect more than that: not _all_ software; just
_most_ software; or just most of the really-common-used software that gets used
by people every day all over the world.

To keep this in perspective, note that 99.9999% of those people (or fewer) have
no understanding or even knowledge of PUA characters, and apart from some CJK
sceanrios* 99.9999% have no need to use them. (*The biggest exception is the
invention of characters for personal names in places like Taiwan. But RTL is
not relevant there.)

I'm not saying that there shouldn't be _some_ software that can do what you
expect. But there will likely be some different views on what ought to be
included within that "some".

Peter