----- Forwarded Message -----
From: delex r <del...@indiatimes.com>
Cc: benjamin scarborough <benjamin.scarboro...@utdallas.edu>
Sent: Thu, 29 Sep 2011 00:35:43 +0530 (IST)
Subject: Re: Noticed improvement in the Code chart link
http://www.unicode.org/charts/

----- Original Message -----
From: Benjamin M Scarborough <benjamin.scarboro...@utdallas.edu>
To: del...@indiatimes.com, unicode@unicode.org
Sent: Wed, 28 Sep 2011 23:05:02 +0530 (IST)
http://www.unicode.org/charts/

On 2011.09.28 14:47, delex r wrote:
>"Complelling case"....... Pls let us be explained more about it ?

>From my understanding, you would have to prove that there is a critical
>orthographic distinction between ক্ষ and ক্+ষ that is important to the
>language.

Please understand that just because ক্ষ isn't encoded as a single code point
doesn't mean it's not present in Unicode. Nor is the situation of ক্ষ unique;
there are plenty of letters in other scripts that must be encoded as a sequence
of code points.

>Also pls inform how a " compelling case" may be made to Unicode to make them
>update the linked pdf file by replacing "BENGALI" s by "ASSAMESE"s at all
>appropriate places.

Not possible. Character and block names cannot be changed once they are
assigned. It's two decades too late to make that change. The most that can be
done now is adding a few annotations for Assamese.

—Ben Scarborough

>...It's two decades too late to make that change....

It is seen that the linked pdf documents have some kind of copyright© 1991-2010
which I guess signifying a period of validity of such copyright. If so (I may
be in need of some US legal information now), should it not be proper for
Unicode to make revisions/corrections to these documentations (especially on
this Assamese/Bengali issue) through its own investigative initiatives/efforts
at this point of time before getting extensions of such rights (?) from
authorities concerned? ….lest they should fall into some kind of copyfraud
accusations in near future.